- Regulates Profession( Industry) and Professionals (Practice)
- As stipulated by Act (Section 2)
- Establish and maintain a register of Animal Science practitioners according to their various ranks
- Prescribe code of conduct to Animal Scientists;
- Regulate the practice of the profession of Animal Scientists;
- Maintain the register of Animal Science Practitioners;
- Ensure that Animal Scientists in Nigeria uphold the ethics of the Profession;
- Advise and encourage the enactment and the enforcement of laws that will guarantee efficient production and constant supply of high quality Animal proteins to Nigerians;
In accordance with Section 15 of NIAS Act, the following categories of members are registered /inducted;
- Graduate Animal Scientist (GAS)
- Registered Animal Scientist (RAS)
- Associate Animal Scientist (AAS)
- Fellow College of Animal Science of Nigerian (FCASN)
- Fellow, Nigerian Institute of Animal Science (FNIAS)
- Corporate Membership
Issuance of Annual Practicing License (APL);
Prescribe codes of conduct for members
- Code of Conduct for GAS
- Code of Conduct for RAS
Keeping of Register of members
- Register for GAS
- Register for RAS
- Register for AAS
- Development of Guidelines and Regulations for Animal husbandry practices and Feed milling Industry ;
- The Department developed the Animal Science practice regulation in Nigeria.
- The Department developed the Regulations for Breeder farms, Hatchery and D.O.C quality.
- The Department developed the Regulation for Hatchery Operators in Nigeria.
- The Department developed the Regulation for the Feed milling Industry in Nigeria.
- Development of working documents to aid monitoring and inspection of the industry;
- Codes of practice for the livestock activities;
- Handling of Pigs
- Beef Cattle
- Broiler Production
- Camel Production
- Dairy Cattle
- Donkey Operations
- Grass Cutter
- Poultry Processing
- Poultry Production
- Poultry Hatchery Operations
- Rabbit Production
- Sheep and Goat Production
- Transportation of Live Poultry
- Turkey Production
- Working Animals
- Annual listing of approved feed ingredients as well feed mills in Nigeria.
- Participates in relevant meetings/conferences/workshops/Seminars;
The Nigerian Institute of Animal Science Act, Part 1 Section 2 (k) mandates the Institute to co-operate or affiliate with any relevant local and international agency on Animal husbandry and related matters.